"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" Ephesians 4:11-13
A Pentecostal meeting was held in Bedford about 1908.Cecil Polhill, of Howbury Hall, Renhold, and one of the Cambridge Seven
(Who were seven students from Cambridge University, who in 1985, decided to missionaries in China) was involved in these meetings
and it is understood they met in a hut in Hasset Street (across the road from the churches present location). Cecil Polhill planted an Assembly in Costin Street and among those who ministered were Mr and Mrs Vanstone from London.In 1926, Stephen Jeffereys, the Welsh Revivalist, came and held a campaign in The Corn Exchange. From there, the Assembly was formed and became a recognised Assembly of God church, and Pastor Vanstone was left in charge.They met in Ashburnham Rooms, Ashburnham Road or a number of years, until they bought a building in Gwyn Street (pictured), which they name "The Full Gospel Tabernacle". They remained there until the area was redeveloped, and moved to the present location in Roise Street, known now as Bedford Pentecostal Church.
It was opened by the Mayor of Bedford in 1963.